Attractions in Dunning

 
 

Explore Crieff and Strathearn

Home
Comrie
Crieff
Dunning
Free Visitor Guide
Other places
Other villages

Attractions in Dunning
Double click on any on the images below to enlarge!

 


Dunning, sitdunning village next to ochilsuated ten miles east of Perth just south of the A9, is on the site of ancient Iron-Age Settlements with hill forts in the area. An endearing old village next to the Ochils, it has number of sites of particular interest. Dominated by St Serfs Church, in the village centre are the Fountain, the Thorn Tree memorial and nearby the Old Stone Well.


dunning thorn tree
The burning of Dunning by the Jacobites in 1716 was commemorated by the villagers who erected the thorn tree, which the village maintains to this day. In Kirk Wynd you will see the only building to avoid the destruction.

 


dunning maggie wall monumentThe Monument of Maggie Wall, simply says “Maggie Wall burnt here as a witch – 1657” She was one of over 4,000 women executed for witchcraft in Scotland during the 16th & 17th Centuries. These executions are often well documented but surprisingly there are no records for Maggie Wall. It is also surprising to have a memorial, (the only one of its kind in Scotland) particularly one with a cross to a witch. Is it a mark of shame and repentance for those responsible? Located beside the B8062 to Auchterarder Road.


st serf's churchSt Serf’s Church dominates the village. St Serf, one of Scotland’s earliest Saints, brought Christianity to the village in the 5th Century. Allegedly Dunning was one of his favourite foundations. St Serf died here. Records first mention the church in 1219, but there is evidence of a much earlier church in the building. The tower dates from the mid-12th Century. The church was extensively remodelled in 1810 and is a fine illustration of a T-plan with three arms directed towards a central pulpit and communion table. In the church you will see the The Dupplin Cross, the only complete example of a free-standing cross from the land of the Picts. This is a superb piece of work by a Pictish Sculptor standing 3m high and carved from local sandstone, in honour of King of the Picts (789 – 820) Constantine, son of Fergus. In the last ten years of his reign he was the first Pictish King to rule the Scots in Dal Riata in Argyll. St Serf’s Church, Dunning. Open April – Sept from 9.30am to 6.30pm.


Comrie / Crieff / Dunning / Free Visitor Guide / Other places / Other villages