Double click on any on the
images below to enlarge!
This small hamlet, located close to the geographical centre of
Scotland, is one of the oldest cattle trysts in the country. The
main features are the church which was founded in 1744 and the
inn reputedly used by Bonnie Prince Charlie. Amulree stands at
the beginning of the very narrow and scenic route along Glen
Quaiche to Kenmore on Loch Tay. There are also walks from
Amulree along Glen Quaich to Loch Freuchie. Located on the A822
at the northern end of the Sma’ Glen 14 miles north of Crieff.
Sma’ Glen, or ‘small glen’ flourishes with all the
picturesque beauty and legend of the Scottish Highlands in
scaled down form. The Sma’ Glen follows the River Almond along
part of the route used in the past by cattle drovers. At Newton
Bridge, on the banks of the River Almond, there is a picnic area
with information boards. Walk from Newton Bridge up Glen Almond
200m after crossing the bridge over the River Almond as you
travel towards Amulree, you will see a small arched stone
bridge. This was build by General Wade in 1730 as part of a
network of roads to control the rebellious Highland clans.
Wade’s old military road can still be made out running parallel
with today’s road.
Ossian’s Stone, a large standing stone
about ½ mile south of the picnic area, is reputed to mark the
burial place of Ossian, the legendary Gaelic bard in 300AD.
Bonnie Prince Charlie’s Jacobite army marched through the Glen in
1746 on their way to Culloden Moor. The athletics meeting in the
film “Chariots of Fire” was filmed in the Glen.
Sma’ Glen is located along the A822 north of Crieff.
the Roman Fort is one of the best preserved military
earthworks to be found anywhere in the Roman Empire. It is
believed that the first fort here dates back to Arcola’s two
campaigns against the Caledonians, which culminated in his
victory at the Battle of Mons Grampius in 83AD. The earthworks
of the fort are very well preserved. The rampart still stands to
a height of 2 metres at its northern end. Entrance to the fort
is off the A822 at the northern end of the village of Braco.
Park in the village and walk over the River Knaik bridge to the
63 Acre Severan Roman Camps. The earlier of the two camps can be
seen. At one point the rampart was knocked down and the ditch
back filled by the Roman builders, ‘such evidence can be seen
nowhere else in the Roman Empire’. The entry point a few metres
up the B827 Braco road junction with the A822 Crieff road.
Gask Ridge Frontier System is the first Roman land frontier
system in the Roman Empire, preceding the German frontier by 15
to 20 years, Hadrians Wall by 40 years and the Antonine Wall by
60 years. The Gask Ridge Frontier System consisted of a series
of forts, fortlets and watch towers between the highlands and
the lower richer agricultural lands. It is particularly
important as the prototype frontier system allows us to
understand how Roman frontiers changes and developed over time.
The Gask Ridge runs west from Perth along the northern edge of
Chapel. A small medieval church founded in 1446 by
the Murray family for the use of the Earls and Dukes of Atholl.
Marquis of Tullibardine is the title of the eldest son to the
Duke of Atholl.
The church today is no longer in use but is well
preserved with much of the original architectural detail still
intact. Information boards.
Open April – September. Historic Scotland. Located near
Gleneagles on the A823.
Comrie / Crieff / Dunning / Free Visitor Guide / Other places / Other villages